Tips for stay at University of Antwerp
University of Antwerp, Belgium
Transportation to Belgium:
- STUDENT AGENCY – price of a return ticket from 70 to 100 EUR or
- EUROLINES about 1000 CZK (1 way)
- Also possible to use low-cost airlines Prague-Brussels, but you need to book the ticket well in advance to ensure that you have a bargain price.
- OPTION 1
- Accommodation can be ensured before arrival by Mrs. Vermeiere (coordinator)
- Approximate price of accommodation: 170-350 EUR / month per person depending on the quality and type of accommodation
- OPTION 2
- Rent of the rooms on:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (550 EUR per room per month)
- Many rooms for rent also in neighbourhood of the university
- Rent of the rooms on:
- OPTION 3
- Hostel on Kloosternstraat (10 minutes walk from the Grote Markt)
ATTENTION! While agree on amount of accommodation is necessary to be careful of the prices of services: gas and electricity. If it’s winter, you must pay up. Recommendation: Search accommodation all inclusive.
DEPOSIT: 1000 EUR
- possibility of local student canteen, where the price is 2.70 EUR for a main course + 0.50 EUR for a soup – they cook well
- possibility of cooking by yourself, shopping at cheaper stores like LIDL and ALDI, prices of products similar to ours, but normal supermarkets are more expensive
- fast-food restaurants – there are many of them in the city center
Basic information about the university and study
- The University is located in the city center.
- Language training is provided by the host UA.
- Internet access / possibility of using computers: at school very good computers with a good Internet connection and university email also assigned, WI-FI connection available, sometimes falling out signal. Computer rooms close sometimes even at 5 PM.
- The semester full of programme, you have to visit school a lot.
- Exams take the form of essays, it requires a lot of graphs. The large volume of material, but less mathematics than in Lille or Stoke-on-Trent
- The tests are written soon after the arrival
- The articles from professional journals are highly recommended for studying
- Education is based on lectures analogous to Prague University of Economics and Business
- Exams during the end of March and more difficult than at Prague University of Economics and Business
- The subjects Economics of European Integration and Open Economy Macroeconomics are finished with a 3-hour written exam with essay questions at the end of semester
- It is worth to repeat the Greek alphabet
- Library: great, big number of literature in English, excellent books about economics, compared to Prague University of Economics and Business (better collecting materials for a diploma thesis already here) shorter opening hours, but available for a few Euros lecture notes
- Even electronic resources are at a very good level
Leisure Time Activities
- team sports in the gym –necessity to purchase so called Sportsticker for 15 EUR
- courses in campus, but you have to pay a fee
- table tennis
- bicycle with the possibility of renting – 20 EUR / 3 months
- many parties organized ( social events)
Basic information about Antwerp
- At the beginning you get material about the city and school.
- Interesting museums and art collections
- Places with live music
- delicious waffles, French fries, truffles, French fries with Andalusian sauce from local Frituurs,
- Beer – DeKonick, Letce, Souden Carolus, Westmalle, all trapesian beers
- Antwerp – De Kulminator – more than 500 types of beer
- It’s worth to have weekend train tickets or so called GO PASS 10 rides for 45 EUR for people younger than 26 years.
- Collectively organized tour in Antwerp
- Very nice and stylish cities – Bruges, Ghent, Brussels, Leuven, Nechelen, Ostende
- Aalst – the largest Belgian carnival in late February
- From Brussels to Antwerp train goes around 8 EUR
Other attractions and recommendations
- Although there is agreement within the EU, it is necessary to have cash to pay for medical treatment, Czech insurance company returns consequently (Price for entrance examinations – 20 EUR)
- Some ATMs do not accept all credit cards.
ATTENTION! Financial scholarship goes sometimes delayed, perhaps at the end of February.
- Recommendation of graduates is to take your laptop with you.